Hebrew plays a vital role in text study. Therefore, Pardes requires that all students devote at least a month during the summer to improving their Hebrew proficiency in a formal setting of their choice unless they are exempted by the Director of Admissions.
There are dozens of ulpan (Hebrew study) programs in and outside of Israel with a wide range in quality. Pardes directs incoming students to programs which previous students have found beneficial.
Note: You should plan on starting Pardes on time, even in the few cases that your ulpan hasn’t ended yet.
Summer Ulpan (Hebrew study) Options
The School of Hebrew – Summer 2019
Opened in the summer of 2008, the Brandeis University-Middlebury School of Hebrew combines the best of two worlds—a time-tested curriculum developed at Brandeis and an immersion-learning environment for which the Language Schools have been celebrated for nearly a century.
As a student in the School of Hebrew you’ll benefit from our rigorous approach to daily classroom instruction, leading to rapid gains in the four major skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Outside the classroom, you’ll participate in organized in-language co-curricular activities—including soccer, theater, story-telling, and film club—each designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency.
- Levels: Five levels
- Dates: June 28-August 16, 2019 OR shorter program: June 28-July 19, 2019
- Cost: $9995 for seven weeks; $4305 for three weeks. Prices include room and board. Generous financial aid available.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Note: If you choose to do both ulpanim below, you are entitled to a price reduction for both ulpan and housing.
The Jerusalem Ulpan
This is an intensive Hebrew language course, designed for visitors with an academic background who are interested in learning Hebrew through the Jerusalem experience. In the ulpan, you will encounter people, communities and religions that influence this city.
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: July 1 − July 25, 2019
- Times: Sunday to Thursday, 5 hours each morning
- Cost: $1,400 + $580 for housing + $80 application fee (these prices are for tourists; if you are Israeli, ask for Israeli prices)
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2019
The Scopus Ulpan
- August 5- August 28, 2019
- Cost: $1,380 + $550 for housing + $80 application fee
- Application deadline: July 5, 2019
University of Haifa Summer Ulpan
The Intensive Hebrew Summer Ulpan brings students from over 40 countries to the University of Haifa to study Hebrew in one of the most effective language learning programs in Israel. The Ulpan is designed for those who want to immerse themselves in an intensive language acquisition experience that is personally enriching as well as academically demanding. Instruction is offered on all levels from beginning to advanced
- Levels: Beginner through Advanced
- Dates: July 7, 2019 – August 1, 2019 and/or Session II: August 5 – August 29, 2019
- Times: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30-1:30 (Times may change slightly on certain program dates, and there is the possibility of 1-2 Friday lessons per session.)
- Cost (these prices are from 2018): $1400 for one session or $2000 for two sessions, $250 non-refundable deposit.
- Placement test is on the website (click below)
- Accommodation: Dormitories $450/month-Single, $320/month-Double
Website: Click here
Contact: Tel: 04-828-8728, Fax: 04-824-0391, Skype: Haifainternationalschool
IDC Herzliya Summer Ulpan
- Levels: Aleph-hey
- Dates: July 7 – August 15, 2019, placement tests on July 1 – 2.
- Times: Aleph-Hey: Sundays through Thursdays, 8:30 to 13:30
- Cost: $1,500 for tourists (includes $100 registration fee).
- Accommodation: No
Ulpan-Or – See website for details and prices
Ulpan-Or provides personal Hebrew programs based on the “RLA” (Rapid Language Acquisition) concept. Progress of one full level is usually achieved in just two weeks. Ulpan-Or locations: Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv or anywhere in the world through Skype lessons. Levels: From total beginner to very advanced, each student gets a personalized individual program after level assessment. Check the website for the various learning options. This is an extremely pricey ulpan.
- Offices are located a few minutes walk from Pardes at Yad Harutzim 3
- Ulpan-Or offers a 5% discount to all Pardes students.
Tel Aviv University
- TAU International, Carter Building, Ramat Aviv
- Beginners’ ulpan: June 10 – July 19, 2019; Short Summer ulpan: August 4 – August 30, 2019
- All levels
- Times: Beginners’ ulpan: Sunday – Thursday, 9 am – 12 pm / Short Summer Ulpan: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Cost: $1450 for Beginners’ ulpan; $1450 for Short Summer ulpan
- Accommodation: $1200 for Beginners’ Ulpan; $800 for Short Summer Ulpan (+ $60 application fee for each ulpan)
Ulpan Morasha: Check the website for updates regarding summer classes: www.ulpanmorasha.com
- 18 Shlomtsiyon HaMalka Street, Jerusalem
- This ulpan serves English, Russian, and French speakers.
- Levels: Aleph-Dalet (may change based on the population)
- Dates: Ongoing, join anytime (best for beginners to start when a new class opens; closed during the last two weeks of August). Contact them to be tested and they will recommend which level to join.
- Times: Morning session: 8:30-12:45, five days a week, 800 NIS per month in cash or check (Price changes occasionally; verify price when you sign up.)
- Evening session: 5:30-8:30 p.m., Sun, Tues, Thurs., 600 NIS per month in cash or check
- This ulpan is free for new immigrants
- Accommodation: No
Contact: 02-628-1032 or Tamara (English speaker): 02 585-3763, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Jerusalem Institute for Hebrew (Milah)
- 13 King David Street, Jerusalem
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: June 23, 2019 – Sept. 12, 2019
- Times: Morning classes: Monday-Thursday, 9:00-12:00 (Level Dalet: Sunday & Wednesday 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
Evening Classes – Level Aleph, Aleph Plus, Bet, Bet Plus: Sun. & Wed. 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Level Gimmel, Dalet: Mon. & Thurs. 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Vav: Tuesdays, 6:00 pm -8:30 pm
- Cost: Morning classes :3,480 NIS (Level Dalet 2090 NIS, Vav, 1,090 NIS) not including books. Note: Payment is due up-front and no refunds are given after the second week of the course.Evening classes: 2,260 NIS.
- Accommodation: Not available
- *No rate reduction for ending the summer session early. If the student plans to continue with Milah in the future, he/she must take level exam at the end of the course. Evening classes and special workshops, including higher levels, are also available.
Ulpan La-Inyan is located at 32 Pierre Koenig St. (corner of Tzeret St, 2nd floor), a few minutes from Pardes. The focus is on practical, conversational Hebrew using an intuitive method.
- Levels: Levels 1 – 6, in groups of 6 – 12 people with an instructor
- Dates May 5-June 23; July 1- Aug. 1; Aug. 5 – Sept. 5
- Courses: 30 hours, 20 sessions at 1.5 hours per session
- Cost: 1,340 NIS per course, all materials included
- Discounts: Discounts for Pardes students, plus an extra 100 NIS discount to the first 3 students who register to each course (use code earlybird2019)
- Accommodation: No
- Options for semi-private groups of 3-4 people for 1925 NIS per course
- Private lessons available
The Ulpanim below are less intensive, which are less preferable than those listed above.
Ulpan Bayit in Tel Aviv
Six levels; 2670 NIS per course
A one-on-one custom-designed 10-day intensive over Skype or in person.
This Is Not An Ulpan
thisisnotanulpan.com – located in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv
Home Ulpan with Shlomit Chaushu (near Haifa)
In this special course you will learn to speak, read and write Hebrew in just 10 days. You will be fully immersed in a Hebrew speaking environment where you will have the opportunity to speak Hebrew while living with Shlomit Chaushu in her home.
Courses also available online.
Pardes students over the years have taken advantage of the following resources to improve their Hebrew before arriving at Pardes or during their time at Pardes.