Hebrew plays a vital role in text study. Therefore, Pardes requires that all students devote at least a month during the summer to improving their Hebrew proficiency in a formal setting of their choice unless they are exempted by the Director of Admissions.
There are dozens of ulpan (Hebrew study) programs in and outside of Israel with a wide range in quality. Pardes directs incoming students to programs which previous students have found beneficial.
Note: You should plan on starting Pardes on time, even in the few cases that your ulpan hasn’t ended yet.
Summer Ulpan (Hebrew study) Options 2021
Due to the present uncertain and continuously changing situation, students should be in touch directly with the listed contact person close to the time of registering, to get the most updated information.
The School of Hebrew – Summer 2021
Middlebury, VT OR online
Opened in the summer of 2008, the Brandeis University-Middlebury School of Hebrew combines the best of two worlds—a time-tested curriculum developed at Brandeis and an immersion-learning environment for which the Language Schools have been celebrated for nearly a century.
As a student in the School of Hebrew you’ll benefit from our rigorous approach to daily classroom instruction, leading to rapid gains in the four major skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Outside the classroom, you’ll participate in organized in-language co-curricular activities—including soccer, theater, story-telling, and film club—each designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency.
- Levels: Five levels
- Dates: June 24-August 13, 2021 (on campus) OR shorter programs: June 28-Aug. 6, 2021 (remote); June 28-July 16, 2021 (remote)
- Cost: $10605 for seven weeks in person (includes room and board); $6800 for six weeks remote; $2910 for three weeks remote. Generous financial aid available.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
It has yet to be decided whether there will be an in-person option in summer 2021.
The Scopus Ulpan (online)
88 academic hours
- August 3- August 23, 2021
- Cost: Not yet posted
- Application deadline: July 14, 2021
- Note that you will not complete a full level in this three-week ulpan
University of Haifa Summer Ulpan (online)
The Intensive Hebrew Summer Ulpan brings together students from over 40 countries. The Ulpan is designed for those who want to immerse themselves in an intensive language acquisition experience that is personally enriching as well as academically demanding. Instruction is offered on all levels from beginning to advanced
- Levels: Beginner through Advanced
- Dates: July 12, 2021 – Aug. 12, 2021
- Times: Monday-Thursday, 6:00-9:30 pm IST
- Cost: $1000 (not including books), $80 non-refundable application fee.
- Placement test is on the website (click below)
Tel: 04-828-8728, Fax: 04-824-0391, Skype: Haifainternationalschool
IDC Herzliya Summer Ulpan
Information on this ulpan will be available only at the end of March 2021
Ulpan-Or – See website for details and prices
Ulpan-Or provides personal Hebrew programs based on the “RLA” (Rapid Language Acquisition) concept. Progress of one full level is usually achieved in just two weeks. Ulpan-Or locations: Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv or anywhere in the world through Skype lessons. Levels: From total beginner to very advanced, each student gets a personalized individual program after level assessment. Check the website for the various learning options. This is an extremely pricey ulpan.
- Offices are located a few minutes walk from Pardes at Yad Harutzim 3
- Ulpan-Or offers a 5% discount to all Pardes students.
Tel Aviv University (hybrid)
All Summer and Language programs will be operating under a hybrid model offering in-person/online classes. If physical presence is not possible, you will be able to participate in your courses remotely and complete your program within the scheduled time frame. Additional details and arrival instructions will be shared with confirmed participants.
- Beginners’ ulpan: June 16 – July 30, 2021; Short Summer ulpan: August 2 – Sept. 3, 2021
- All levels
- Times: Beginners’ ulpan: Sunday – Thursday, 9 am – 12 pm / Short Summer Ulpan: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Cost: $1510 for either ulpan
- Accommodation: Available at an additional fee
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 03-640-8118, Fax: 03-640-9582
POLIS – The Jerusalem Institute of Languages and Humanities
Uncertain as to whether the course will be held online or in person.
100 academic hours of modern Hebrew
July 5-30, 2021
Registration for the Summer Intensive courses opens in April; please keep and eye on the website or send us an email and we will be more than happy to update you.
The Jerusalem Institute for Hebrew (Milah) – Hybrid
See website for schedule. Times listed for Spring 2021 will be the same as in the summer. Classes will be hybrid, in person and online at the same time.
- 13 King David Street, Jerusalem
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: June 13, 2021 – Sept. 2, 2021
- Cost – Morning classes :3670 NIS, not including books. Note: Payment is due up-front and no refunds are given after the second week of the course.Evening classes: 3540 NIS for the intensive evening classes; 2380 NIS for the non-intensive evening classes
- Accommodation: Not available
- *No rate reduction for ending the summer session early. If the student plans to continue with Milah in the future, he/she must take level exam at the end of the course. Evening classes and special workshops, including higher levels, are also available.
Ulpan La-Inyan is located at 32 Pierre Koenig St. (corner of Tzeret St, 2nd floor), a few minutes from Pardes. The focus is on practical, conversational Hebrew using an intuitive method. Courses are only 30 hours – many less hours than the options listed above.
- Levels: Levels 1 – 7, in groups of 6 – 12 people with an instructor
- Dates: TBD
- Courses: 30 hours, 20 sessions at 1.5 hours per session
- Cost: 1560 NIS per group course, all materials included
- Discounts: Discounts for Pardes students (if you ask), plus an extra 100 NIS discount to the first 3 students who register to each course
- Accommodation: No
- Options for semi-private groups of 3-4 people for 1980 NIS per course
- Online groups currently available – 1560 NIS for 30-hour course via zoom
- Private lessons available in-person or online
Ulpan Morasha: Check the website for updates regarding summer classes: www.ulpanmorasha.com
This ulpan primarily serves new immigrants, but Pardes students have joined in the past. It operates on an ongoing basis, and you can join any time. Levels open only if there are enough participants, so make sure your level is available.
- 18 Shlomtsiyon HaMalka Street, Jerusalem
- This ulpan serves English, Russian, and French speakers.
- Levels: Aleph-Dalet (may change based on the population)
- Dates: Ongoing, join anytime (best for beginners to start when a new class opens; closed during the last two weeks of August). Contact them to be tested and they will recommend which level to join.
- Times: Morning session: 8:30-12:45, five days a week, 800 NIS per month in cash or check (Price changes occasionally; verify price when you sign up.) Extra 50 NIS for a credit card payment.
- Evening session: 5:30-8:30 p.m., Sun, Tues, Thurs., 600 NIS per month in cash or check; extra 50 NIS for credit card payment
- This ulpan is free for new immigrants
- Accommodation: No
Contact: 02-628-1032, email@example.com
Ulpan Bayit in Tel Aviv (online or in-person)
2- month courses
Eight levels; 2550 NIS per course
Ulpan Aviv (online or in-person)
A one-on-one custom-designed 10-day intensive over Skype or in person (2 hours per day).
This Is Not An Ulpan
thisisnotanulpan.com – located in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv
Home Ulpan with Shlomit Chaushu (near Haifa) (online or in-person)
In this special course you will learn to speak, read and write Hebrew in just a few weeks. You will be fully immersed in a Hebrew speaking environment where you will have the opportunity to speak Hebrew while living with Shlomit Chaushu in her home.
Courses also available online.