Hebrew plays a vital role in text study. Therefore, Pardes requires that all students devote at least a month during the summer to improving their Hebrew proficiency in a formal setting of their choice unless they are exempted by the Director of Admissions.
There are dozens of ulpan (Hebrew study) programs in and outside of Israel with a wide range in quality. Pardes directs incoming students to programs which previous students have found beneficial.
Note: You should plan on starting Pardes on time, even in the few cases that your ulpan hasn’t ended yet.
Summer Ulpan (Hebrew study) Options 2020
Due to the present uncertain and continuously changing situation, students should be in touch directly with the listed contact person close to the time of registering, to get the most updated information“.
The School of Hebrew – Summer 2020
Opened in the summer of 2008, the Brandeis University-Middlebury School of Hebrew combines the best of two worlds—a time-tested curriculum developed at Brandeis and an immersion-learning environment for which the Language Schools have been celebrated for nearly a century.
As a student in the School of Hebrew you’ll benefit from our rigorous approach to daily classroom instruction, leading to rapid gains in the four major skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Outside the classroom, you’ll participate in organized in-language co-curricular activities—including soccer, theater, story-telling, and film club—each designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency.
- Levels: Five levels
- Dates: June 26-August 14, 2020 OR shorter program: June 26-July 17, 2019
- Cost: $10295 for seven weeks; $4435 for three weeks. Prices include room and board. Generous financial aid available.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Note: If you choose to do both ulpanim below, you are entitled to a price reduction for both ulpan and housing.
The Jerusalem Ulpan
This is an intensive Hebrew language course, designed for visitors with an academic background who are interested in learning Hebrew through the Jerusalem experience. In the ulpan, you will encounter people, communities and religions that influence this city. THIS WILL BE HELD ONLINE ONLY FOR THE 2020 FALL SEMESTER.
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: July 1 − July 29, 2020
Class 1: 6-7:30pm
Class 2: 8-9:30pm
Sunday to Thursday, 4 hours each night
- Cost: $1,200
- Application Deadline: June 1, 2020
The Scopus Ulpan
- August 4- August 24, 2020
- Cost: $1,380 + $550 for housing + $80 application fee
- Application deadline: July 4, 2020
University of Haifa Summer Ulpan
The Intensive Hebrew Summer Ulpan brings students from over 40 countries to the University of Haifa to study Hebrew in one of the most effective language learning programs in Israel. The Ulpan is designed for those who want to immerse themselves in an intensive language acquisition experience that is personally enriching as well as academically demanding. Instruction is offered on all levels from beginning to advanced
- Levels: Beginner through Advanced
- Dates: July 6, 2020 – July 29, 2020 and/or Session II: August 4 – August 27, 2020
- Times: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30-1:30 (Times may change slightly on certain program dates, and there is the possibility of 1-2 Friday lessons per session.)
- Cost: $1400 for one session or $2000 for two sessions, $80 non-refundable application fee.
- Placement test is on the website (click below)
- Accommodation: Dormitories $450/month-Single, $320/month-Double
Website: Click here
Tel: 04-828-8728, Fax: 04-824-0391, Skype: Haifainternationalschool
IDC Herzliya Summer Ulpan
Unfortunately, due to Covid-19 there will be no Ulpan this year.
Ulpan-Or – See website for details and prices
Ulpan-Or provides personal Hebrew programs based on the “RLA” (Rapid Language Acquisition) concept. Progress of one full level is usually achieved in just two weeks. Ulpan-Or locations: Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv or anywhere in the world through Skype lessons. Levels: From total beginner to very advanced, each student gets a personalized individual program after level assessment. Check the website for the various learning options. This is an extremely pricey ulpan.
- Offices are located a few minutes walk from Pardes at Yad Harutzim 3
- Ulpan-Or offers a 5% discount to all Pardes students.
Tel Aviv University
- TAU International, Carter Building, Ramat Aviv
- Beginners’ ulpan: June 7 – July 24, 2020; Short Summer ulpan: August 4 – Sept. 4, 2020
- All levels
- Times: Beginners’ ulpan: Sunday – Thursday, 9 am – 12 pm / Short Summer Ulpan: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Cost: $1450 for Beginners’ ulpan; $1450 for Short Summer ulpan
- Accommodation: $1200 for Beginners’ Ulpan; $800 for Short Summer Ulpan (+ $60 application fee for each ulpan)
Ulpan Morasha: This program is now online based. Check the website for updates regarding summer classes: www.ulpanmorasha.com
- 18 Shlomtsiyon HaMalka Street, Jerusalem
- This ulpan serves English, Russian, and French speakers.
- Levels: Aleph-Dalet (may change based on the population)
- Dates: Ongoing, join anytime (best for beginners to start when a new class opens; closed during the last two weeks of August). Contact them to be tested and they will recommend which level to join.
- Times: Morning session: 8:30-12:45, five days a week, 800 NIS per month in cash or check (Price changes occasionally; verify price when you sign up.)
- Evening session: 5:30-8:30 p.m., Sun, Tues, Thurs., 600 NIS per month in cash or check
- This ulpan is free for new immigrants
- Accommodation: No
Contact: 02-628-1032 or Tamara (English speaker): 02 585-3763, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Jerusalem Institute for Hebrew (Milah) – Due to the present uncertain and continuously changing situation, students should check the details of the ulpan’s websites close to the time of registering, to get the most updated information.
- 13 King David Street, Jerusalem
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: June 28, 2020 – Sept. 17, 2020
- Times: Morning classes: Monday-Thursday, 9:00-12:00 (Level Dalet: Sunday & Wednesday 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.)
Evening Classes – Level Aleph, Aleph Plus, Bet, Bet Plus: Sun. & Wed. 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Level Gimmel, Dalet: Mon. & Thurs. 5:30 pm – 8:30 pm. Vav: Tuesdays, 6:00 pm -8:30 pm
- Cost (as of 2019 – check with them for 2020): Morning classes :3,480 NIS (Level Dalet 2090 NIS, Vav, 1,090 NIS) not including books. Note: Payment is due up-front and no refunds are given after the second week of the course.Evening classes: 2,260 NIS.
- Accommodation: Not available
- *No rate reduction for ending the summer session early. If the student plans to continue with Milah in the future, he/she must take level exam at the end of the course. Evening classes and special workshops, including higher levels, are also available.
Ulpan La-Inyan is located at 32 Pierre Koenig St. (corner of Tzeret St, 2nd floor), a few minutes from Pardes. The focus is on practical, conversational Hebrew using an intuitive method.
- Levels: Levels 1 – 7, in groups of 6 – 12 people with an instructor
- Dates: TBD
- Courses: 30 hours, 20 sessions at 1.5 hours per session
- Cost: 1490 NIS per group course, all materials included
- Discounts: Discounts for Pardes students (if you ask), plus an extra 100 NIS discount to the first 3 students who register to each course
- Accommodation: No
- Options for semi-private groups of 3-4 people for 1980 NIS per course
- Online groups currently available – 780 NIS per 15-hour course
- Private lessons available in-person or online
The Ulpanim below are less intensive, which are less preferable than those listed above.
Ulpan Bayit in Tel Aviv
Eight levels; 2770 NIS per course
A one-on-one custom-designed 10-day intensive over Skype or in person.
This Is Not An Ulpan
thisisnotanulpan.com – located in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv
Home Ulpan with Shlomit Chaushu (near Haifa)
In this special course you will learn to speak, read and write Hebrew in just a few weeks. You will be fully immersed in a Hebrew speaking environment where you will have the opportunity to speak Hebrew while living with Shlomit Chaushu in her home.
Courses also available online.