Hebrew plays a vital role in text study. Therefore, Pardes requires that all students devote at least a month during the summer to improving their Hebrew proficiency in a formal setting of their choice unless they are exempted by the Director of Admissions.
There are dozens of ulpan (Hebrew study) programs in and outside of Israel with a wide range in quality. Pardes directs incoming students to programs which previous students have found beneficial.
Note: You should plan on starting Pardes on time, even in the few cases that your ulpan hasn’t ended yet.
Summer Ulpan (Hebrew study) Options
Updated for Summer 2022!
The School of Hebrew – Summer 2022
Middlebury, VT OR online
Opened in the summer of 2008, the Brandeis University-Middlebury School of Hebrew combines the best of two worlds—a time-tested curriculum developed at Brandeis and an immersion-learning environment for which the Language Schools have been celebrated for nearly a century.
As a student in the School of Hebrew you’ll benefit from our rigorous approach to daily classroom instruction, leading to rapid gains in the four major skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Outside the classroom, you’ll participate in organized in-language co-curricular activities—including soccer, theater, story-telling, and film club—each designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency.
- Levels: Five levels
- Dates: July 5-August 19, 2022 (on campus) OR shorter programs: July 1-August 12, 2022 (remote); July 1-22, 2022 (remote)
- Cost: $10915 for seven weeks in person (includes room and board); $4640 for six weeks remote; $4015 for three weeks in person. Generous financial aid available – based on how early you apply!
(These are listed in no particular order)
University of Haifa Summer Ulpan
The Intensive Hebrew Summer Ulpan brings together students from over 40 countries. The Ulpan is designed for those who want to immerse themselves in an intensive language acquisition experience that is personally enriching as well as academically demanding. Instruction is offered on all levels from beginning to advanced
- Levels: Beginner through Advanced
- Dates: July 4-28, 2022 and Aug. 2-25, 2022
- Times: Sunday-Thursday, 5 academic hours each morning; possibility of 1-2 Friday mornings
- Cost: $1400 for one session; $2200 for both sessions (cost does not include books, dorm fee), plus $80 non-refundable application fee.
- Placement test is on the website (click below)
Tel: 04-828-8728, Fax: 04-824-0391, Skype: Haifainternationalschool
Ulpan-Or – See website for details and prices
Ulpan-Or provides personal Hebrew programs based on the “RLA” (Rapid Language Acquisition) concept. Ulpan-Or offers both individual courses as well as Hybrid courses. Ulpan-Or locations: Jerusalem or anywhere in the world through lessons on Zoom. Levels: From total beginner to very advanced, each student gets a personalized individual program after level assessment. Check the website for the various learning options.
- Offices are located a few minutes walk from Pardes at Yad Harutzim 10
- Ulpan-Or offers a 5% discount to all Pardes students.
Tel Aviv University
80 academic hours per course
- July 11- Aug. 4, 2022 and Aug. 3-Sept. 2, 2022 (note the deadlines to apply: May 1 and July 1)
- All levels
- Times: Mornings Sunday-Thursday
- Cost: $1700 for either ulpan, plus $60 application fee
- Accommodation: Available at an additional fee
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: 03-640-8118, Fax: 03-640-9582
POLIS – The Jerusalem Institute of Languages and Humanities
All courses are taught using The Polis Method which immerses students in the target language from the very first class which allows learning in a more natural way. The Polis Method focuses on total immersion and speech fluency and we believe helps students acquire the language quicker than the traditional grammar-translation method.
100 academic hours of modern Hebrew
- July 4-29, 2022
- Cost: 2850 NIS plus application fee
The Jerusalem Institute for Hebrew (Milah)
See website for schedule and hours. Students report large-sized classes.
- 13 King David Street, Jerusalem
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: June 19-Sept. 14, 2022
- Cost – Morning classes :3670 NIS, not including books. Note: Payment is due up-front and no refunds are given after the second week of the course. Evening classes: 3540 NIS for the intensive evening classes; 2380 NIS for the non-intensive evening classes
- Accommodation: Not available
- *No rate reduction for ending the summer session early. If the student plans to continue with Milah in the future, he/she must take level exam at the end of the course. Evening classes and special workshops, including higher levels, are also available.
This ulpan primarily serves new immigrants, but Pardes students have joined in the past. It operates on an ongoing basis, and you can join any time. Levels open only if there are enough participants, so make sure your level is available. Students report large-sized classes.
- 18 Shlomtsiyon HaMalka Street, Jerusalem
- This ulpan serves English, Russian, and French speakers.
- Levels: Aleph-Dalet (may change based on the population)
- Dates: Ongoing, join anytime (best for beginners to start when a new class opens; closed during the last two weeks of August). Contact them to be tested and they will recommend which level to join.
- Times: Morning session: 8:30-12:45, five days a week, 850 NIS per month in cash or check. Extra 50 NIS for a credit card payment.
- Evening session: 5:30-8:30 p.m., Sun, Tues, Thurs., 650 NIS per month in cash or check; extra 50 NIS for credit card payment
- This ulpan is free for new immigrants
- Accommodation: No
Contact: 02-628-1032, 053-528-2955 (Alex – whatsapp available as well), email@example.com
Ulpan Bayit in Tel Aviv (online or in-person)
- The in-person classes are located in the Florentine neighborhood of Tel Aviv
- All levels
- Dates: May 29-June 27, 2022; July 3-28, 2022 (no courses in August)
- Sunday-Thursday, 9 am – 12:15 pm
- Cost: 2950 NIS per course
- Accommodation: Not available (the ulpan’s name is misleading!)
All levels; 2950 NIS per course
Online courses also available: https://ulpan.co.il/ulpan-online/
Ulpan La-Inyan offers online lessons as well as in-person. The Jerusalem office is located at 32 Pierre Koenig St. across the street from Pardes. The method is focused on practical usage of the language, specifically effective in gaining confidence to speak conversational Hebrew.
- Levels: Levels 1 – 7
- Dates: Courses open on an ongoing basis.
- Courses: 30 hours per level
- semi-private groups of 3-4 people for 2,690 NIS per course
- group courses of 5-10 people – 2,190 NIS for 30-hour course
- printed materials and an online student center included
- Discounts: 250 shekels discount for Pardes students!
- Accommodation: No
- option for one-on-one private lessons available in-person or online
Contact: 076-599-1122 / 058-796-4586 (direct line – you can whatsapp to this number)
IDC Herzliya Summer Ulpan
- 5 Levels
- Dates: July 3 – August 4, 2022
- Sundays-Thursdays, 8:30 am – 1 pm
- Placement test is a MUST – on either June 28th or June 29th at 9 am.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
This is an excellent ulpan but in Summer 2022 the ulpan runs Aug. 3-Sept. 21st, making it not a good fit for Pardes students arriving for the Pardes Fall Semester, which starts Sept. 4th.
Ulpan Aviv (online or in-person)
Personalized & intensive one-to-one method with flexible schedule and options:
10 day programs (2-hours per day); courses by level; topic-oriented lessons; grammar or conversation focus; and more.
In the space of the 10 sessions it is expected that most students would be able to cover the work necessary to complete one of the six Hebrew Levels. The course is available in-person in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv or online.
This Is Not An Ulpan
thisisnotanulpan.com – located in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv
Home Ulpan with Shlomit Chaushu (near Haifa) (online or in-person)
In this special course you will learn to speak, read and write Hebrew in just a few weeks. You will be fully immersed in a Hebrew speaking environment where you will have the opportunity to speak Hebrew while living with Shlomit Chaushu in her home.
Courses also available online.