Reserved for outstanding Year Program or Fall Semester applicants who have demonstrated exceptional leadership in the field of social action, either as a student, professional or volunteer lay leader. Applicants should be passionate about the field and interested in infusing their work with a deep level of Jewish knowledge relating to social justice issues.
Social action fellows commit to formal learning in one or more of the following:
- Jewish Justice: Text and Reality course
- Advanced Halakha course around Workers’ Rights
Fellows are expected to participate in Night Seder (Monday night learning). In addition, fellows commit to actively participating in all presentations and trips exploring the ways in which sociopolitical and environmental issues play themselves out within and beyond contemporary Israeli society.
Fellows will be supported in planning and implementing social action initiatives that align with their areas of interest.
- All fellows will receive a guaranteed living expenses grant ranging from $200-$600/month (exact amount determined by financial need) AND receive highly subsidized Year Program tuition: $3,000 discount for those not eligible for Masa Israel Journey funding, and $2,000 discount for those eligible for Masa funding.
- Social Action fellows are full time Pardes students, and may either join us for the fall semester only, or the full year.
Fellows will be responsible for the following:
- Helping to facilitate students’ weekly social action projects (volunteer placements range from direct service opportunities supporting elderly individuals, children of refugees and kids with special needs, to offering specialized organizational support to non-profits and initiatives tackling a range of justice issues)
- Raising awareness around speaker events and sharing follow-up resources with the community
- Overseeing and spearheading additional social action initiatives at Pardes
A letter of recommendation from a supervisor who can speak to the candidate’s relevant community experience and potential growth and contributions through the fellowship is required. This may be one of the two letters of recommendation required for the YP application, or an additional recommendation. The letter must be submitted along with the Fellowship Application and the Pardes 2023-2024 Year Program application, no later than May 15, 2023.