Hebrew plays a vital role in text study. Therefore, Pardes requires that all students devote at least a month during the summer to improving their Hebrew proficiency in a formal setting of their choice unless they are exempted by the Director of Admissions.
There are dozens of ulpan programs in and outside of Israel with a wide range in quality. Pardes directs incoming students to programs which previous students have found beneficial.
Note: You should plan on starting Pardes on time, even in the few cases that your ulpan hasn’t ended yet (Haifa, Milah).
Summer Ulpan Options
Middlebury School of Hebrew
Opened in the summer of 2008, the Brandeis University-Middlebury School of Hebrew combines the best of two worlds—a time-tested curriculum developed at Brandeis and an immersion-learning environment for which the Language Schools have been celebrated for nearly a century.
As a student in the School of Hebrew you’ll benefit from our rigorous approach to daily classroom instruction, leading to rapid gains in the four major skills: reading, writing, listening, and speaking. Outside the classroom, you’ll participate in organized in-language co-curricular activities—including soccer, theater, story-telling, and film club—each designed to help you build new vocabulary while developing cultural fluency.
- Levels: Five levels
- Dates: June 26-August 14, 2015
- Cost: $5,540 + $3,095 for room and board. Generous financial aid available.
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Note: If you choose to do both ulpanim below, you are entitled to a price reduction for both ulpan and housing.
The Jerusalem Ulpan
This is an intensive Hebrew language course, consisting of 140 hours. The course is designed for visitors with an academic background who are interested in learning Hebrew through the Jerusalem experience. In the ulpan, you will encounter people, communities and religions that influence this city.
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: June 22 − July 21,2015
- Times: Sunday to Thursday, 5 hours each morning
- Cost: $1665 + $800 for housing
- Application Deadline: May 22, 2015
The Scopus Ulpan
- July 28 – August 18, 2015
- Cost: $1,325 + $550 for housing
- Application deadline: July 1, 2015
University of Haifa Summer Ulpan
- Levels: Beginner through Advanced
- Dates: Session I: July 6 – July 30 and/or Session II: August 3 – August 27, 2015
- Times: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30-1:30 (Times may change slightly on certain program dates, and there is the possibility of 1-2 Friday lessons per session.)
- Cost: $1280 for one session or $1850 for two sessions (includes tuition, social activities, and health insurance); $250 non-refundable deposit.
- Accommodation: Dormitories $450/month-Single, $320/month-Double
IDC Herzliya Summer Ulpan
- Levels: Aleph-hey
- Dates: July 19 – August 27, 2015, placement tests on July 14 – 15 at 9 a.m.
- Times: Aleph, Aleph Plus, Bet: Sundays through Thursdays, 8:30 to 13:00
- Gimel, Daled, Hey: Sundays through Thursdays, 8:30 to 14:00
- Cost: In 2014: $1200 for tourists (includes $100 registration fee) – prices have not yet been updated for 2015.
- Accommodation: No
Ulpan-Or provides personal Hebrew programs based on the “RLA” (Rapid Language Acquisition) concept. Progress of one full level is usually achieved in just two weeks. Ulpan-Or locations: Jerusalem and Tel-Aviv or anywhere in the world through Skype lessons. Levels: From total beginner to very advanced, each student gets a personalized individual program after level assessment.
- Ulpan-Or program options:
- Guided Personal Distance Learning: Ulpan-Or’s GDL program allows students to be surrounded by Hebrew anywhere in the world. A lot of students choose to start studying by distance learning prior to arriving in Israel. During the course, students receive personal coaching via internet communication such as Skype or phone, allowing them to advance their Hebrew significantly and to gain the skills necessary to speak fluently and confidently. The course is based on Ulpan-Or’s unique teaching method (using study-kits and one-on-one communication) and provides the attention and intimate feeling of learning with a face-to-face teacher. Usually people advance one full level just after two-three such modules. Each monthly module costs $439 and includes the accompanying study materials needed for your level. The monthly modules start at the beginning of every month and include a total of eight one-on-one sessions.
- Mini-Israel” Workshop in Israel: Ulpan-Or’s Mini-Israel Hebrew program is an intensive one-on-one program (based in either Jerusalem or Tel Aviv) that combines classroom studies—three hours each day with one outdoor activity (hour and a half each) per week, allowing our students to be “immersed” in Hebrew and to rapidly and significantly advance their Hebrew skills. Students are usually able to advance one full level in just two weeks! Two-week Mini Israel: $1528 + tax includes books, tour and audio.
- “Sabra” Immersion Program: Five-day immersion programs for adults featuring four outdoor activities (hour and a half each) around Jerusalem or Tel Aviv. These workshops have been designed to combine classroom studies with Ulpan-Or touring activities letting you be immersed in Hebrew most of the day. A typical “Sabra” day consists of three hours of one-on-one study in the morning, a break, and then another hour and a half interactive outdoor activity. Learn, breathe and eat Hebrew over a period of five days in Jerusalem or Tel Aviv! Speak to Israelis in live situations. Cost of one-week Sabra program is: $1570 + tax and it includes books, tours and audio materials. Cost of two-week program is: $2690 + tax and it includes books, tour and audio materials.
- “Mini Israel” and “Sabra” workshops start every Sunday throughout the year (as long as there is an available teacher). Daily session standard options: Morning option: 8:00-11:00 a.m.; Noon option: 12:00-3:00 p.m.; Afternoon option: 3:00-6:00 p.m. (later options are available upon request).
- Ulpan-Or offers a 5% discount to all Pardes students.
Tel Aviv University
- TAU International, Carter Building, Ramat Aviv
- Beginners’ ulpan: June 17 – July 16, 2015
- All levels: August 2 – 27, 2015
- Times: Sunday-Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m.
- Cost: $1450 per session
- Accommodation: $800 but space not guaranteed
- 18 Shlomtsiyon HaMalka Street, Jerusalem
- This ulpan serves English, Russian, and French speakers.
- Levels: Aleph-Dalet
- Dates: Ongoing, join anytime (closed during the last two weeks of August)
- Times: Morning session: 8:30-12:45, five days a week, 800 NIS per month (Price changes occasionally; verify price when you sign up.)
- Evening session: 5:30-8:30 p.m., Tu-Th., 600 NIS per month
- This ulpan is free for new immigrants
- Accommodation: No
Contact: 02-628-1032, firstname.lastname@example.org
The Jerusalem Institute for Hebrew (Milah) (Prices not yet available for 2015; prices below are from 2014)
- 14 Rabbi Akiva, Jerusalem
- Levels: Aleph-Vav
- Dates: June 21 – September 10, 2015
- Times: Monday-Thursday, 9:00-12:00 (Level Dalet: Sunday & Tuesday 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m., Vav: Tuesdays 6:00-8:30 p.m.)
- Cost: 2,610 NIS (Level Dalet 1,560 NIS, Vav, 830 NIS) not including books. Note: Payment is due up-front and no refunds are given after the second week of the course.
- Accommodation: Not available
- *No rate reduction for ending the summer session early. If the student plans to continue with Milah in the future, he/she must take level exam at the end of the course. Evening classes and special workshops, including higher levels, are also available.
Hebrew Union College (Info for 2015 is not yet available)
- Rehov King David 13, Jerusalem
- Levels: Beginner and intermediate
- Dates: July 9-September 10, 2014
- Time: Monday and Wednesday 5:15 p.m.-7:45 p.m.
- Cost: 1,400 NIS
- Registration begins on June 16, Monday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Beit Ben Yehuda
28 Ein Gedi, Jerusalem (this ulpan, located a short walk from Pardes, consists of 100 Hebrew hours, educational and cultural excursions around Jerusalem).
- Cost of learning materials is not included, and there might be an extra charge for some of the trips.
- Level: Beginners and Advanced
- Dates: June 22 – July 17, 2015
- Times: Sunday – Thursday/Friday 9:00-1:30
- Option 1: course without accommodation: 449 EURO per person
- Option 2: course + accommodation in triple room: 1099 EURO per person
- Option 3: course + accommodation in double room: 1250 EURO per person
- Option 4: course + accommodation in single room: 1849 EURO per person
- 10% discount for Pardes students
- * Some activities might require an extra fee
Included in price: Some extracurricular activities, internet, fully equipped kitchen, books and materials.
Ulpan La-Inyan is based at the AACI Jerusalem, at 37 Pierre Koenig St., right next to Pardes. The focus is on practical, conversational Hebrew using an intuitive method.
- Levels: Levels 1 – 6, in groups of 6 – 12 people with an instructor
- Dates: June 1 – 28, July 1 – 30, August 2 – 27, 2015
- Courses: 4-week course: five days a week, 4-weeks finishes one level
- Cost: 1340 NIS per course, all materials included
- Discounts: Discounts for Pardes students, plus sign up for all three sessions and get 20% off, and first six people to sign up for a session get 10% off (you can receive multiple discounts)
- Accommodation: No
Contact: Ora Derovan at email@example.com, or call 073-796-2228